INSTRUCTIONS TO KIVIKOSKI GUESTS
KIVIKOSKI COTTAGE, ACCOMMODATION to 5-7 PEOPLE
Kivikoski cottage is best for 5-7 people and the basic rental price includes accommodation for up to 7 people. However, Kivikoski has spare mattresses on the loft above the sauna, and if needed, accommodation is possible with bigger groups too. When the number of guests exceeds 7 people, an additional 25 euros will be charged per extra person per day.
Above the main building bedroom there is a sleeping loft that is accessible with a ladder. The ladder is attached to the wall with a sliding mechanism and the ladder can be pushed towards the wall to save space when not in use. When you want to use the ladder, lift the of ladder a little upwards and gently pull the bottom of the ladder off the wall towards you in order to get a ladder in about 30 degree angle from the wall for safer climbing.
Accommodation and living spaces
- A warm cottage for all-year use 55 m2 + 15 m2
- 2 x bedrooms. A small double bedroom in the main building. Accommodation for three in the separate sleeping hut
- 2 x sleeping lofts (150 ck wide and 120 cm wide) in the main building. Both are only accessible with a ladder. To save space, the swing ladder can be pushed against the wall using a sliding mechanism when the ladder is not in use. When using the ladder, lift it slightly and gently pull the lower end of the stairs out of the wall to get the ladder to a safe climbing angle.
- Living room with dining table for 6-8 people and with a fireplace
- Pillows and duvets in beds. Bed linen and towels can be rented at 15 € / person
- 2 x sauna. The rental price includes a wood-heated cottage sauna. The riverside sauna is an electrically heated glass wall sauna that can be rented separately
- 2 x toilet
- A hot outdoor Tub for rent. The rental price does not include hot tub heating. Filling up, heating and cleaning can be ordered at an additional cost.
- Cutlery and dishes x 10
- Wine glasses
- Owen and microwave oven
- A full size fridge-freezer
- Coffee maker and a kettle
Hot tub available at 80 €/day
At Kivikoski cottage there is a Wood-heated Hot Outdoor tub for 6-8 people that is rented on request to Kivikoski cottage customers. More information about the hot tub here
Riverside sauna available at 45 €/day
Kivikoski cottage has two saunas. In the main cottage there is a wood burning sauna stove. The cottage sauna is included in the rent. By the river there is an electrically heated glass-wall sauna, that can be used at additional cost 45 eur per day. The riverside sauna is big and heating takes at least 1.5-2 hours depending on the weather. Please remember to switch off the sauna after use. For more information on the use of electrically heated riverside sauna from this link. Read the instructions carefully, the sauna stove is slightly different from the domestic stoves.
Final cleaning 120-160 € and Bed linen and towels at 15 € per person
Final cleaning and bed linen and towels are not automatically included in the rental price of the Kivikoski rental cottage. The customer can clean themselves or order final cleaning from us. For final cleaning there are two different cleaning services to choose from; basic cleaning and full cleaning. Bed linen and towels can also be booked from us. Linen set rental is 15e / person. Learn more about cleaning services and linen here
Kivikoski cottage is located in Pyhtää, Strukantie 30
Kivikoski rental cottage is located in Pyhtää at Strukantie 30, 49270 PYHTÄÄ. Drive the E18/E7 highway from Helsinki towards Kotka (or from Hamina towards Helsinki). Exit the motorway at junction 70 (Pyhtää KK) and drive up the ramp to the roundabout. Turn south, the opposite direction from Pyhtää KK. (If coming from Helsinki-direction, turn right. If coming from Kotka-direction, turn left). Drive to the gravel-road number 3503 and continue 580 meters. Turn right and continue the Strukantie dirt road for about 650 meters. The Kivikoski cottage is a grey logwood villa on your left hand side. On the yard there is also a sleeping-hut and a red warehouse.
The nearest bus from Helsinki or from Kotka stops at Pyhtää church (Pyhtää kk). The distance from Pyhtää church to Kivikoski cottage along Annulantie is about 1 km. If you come by bus Pyhtää, you can also ask for a taxi to the cottage from Kymenlaakso taxi companies. The telephone number is 0100 87 227.
Passenger registration forms
All tenants must fill in a passenger registration form. You can find instructions and passenger registration forms from the cottage living room, from a cardboard box. When you leave, please leave passenger registration forms on the dining table. If you want, you can also print the registration form from this link (Matkustajailmoitus ) and send it scanned to us at email@example.com
WiFi and electricity
- There is a wireless internet at the cottage (3G/4G). The password is RLEY3QREFRF. The password has been reset 7.11.2018.
- Sometimes there are electricity outages at Kivikoski cottage due to a storm. If a power failure occurs, the WiFi device might loose connection to the network. In this case turn off the devices for about 5 minutes, and then turn it on again to establish a connection. The WiFi device can be found in the kitchen overhead cabinet.
- You can monitor the electricity distribution situation on KSOY Häiriönetti/Faultnet, which operates in real time. In the Online service, you also see in detail the fault information affecting your own electricity metering point. You can report power cuts to KSOY energy at +3585 7780 222
Heating control and air-conditioning
In order to save energy while the cottage has no quests, we drop the room temperatures to 10 degrees. In the living-room there is a heating control switch and a temperature adjustment switch below. The heating control switches on/off the room temperature. Please switch on to “heating on” position upon arrival in order to heat the cottage. Please switch to “heating off” position when you leave. Please note that the switch is electronic, press for two seconds. This switch also switches on the floor heating in the kitchen and in the entrance hall.
At the cottage we also have a air source heat pump in the living-room. When arriving to the cottage during a cool season please turn on the device and adjust the room temperature to +21 degrees. The air source heat pump heats when a sun-symbol is selected from the remote control MODE functions. When leaving the cottage (in wintertime) please adjust the air conditioned back to +16 degrees. More information about the heat-pump here
You can use the air-conditioner in the summertime to cool down the room temperature if needed. But please never cool the room temperature with the air conditioning device when you have fire in the fireplace. Good cooling temerature is +25 degrees. Then the air does not feel too cold and you do not need to adjust the temperature all the time.
In the main building toilet there is an exhaust fan with a motion detector. The fan will turn on automatically when someone enters the toilet and the fan will be turned off automatically after some time.
Washing machines, water and wastewater
The kitchen has a dishwasher and washing machine. Before using the machines please open the washing machine tap, so that the machine gets water in. The dishwasher and the washing machine water supply is opened at the root of the kitchen tap. Please close the tap after use. The tap is open when the switch is turned left. The tap is closed when the switch is turned in the middle (STOP)
The toilet waters are ripped and pumped to a communal waste water system with a special electrical pump. Please note that it is not allowed to throw anything else to the toilet bin than human waste. Plastic and for example sanitary napkins will break the waste pump system.
In emergencies, water supply can be closed down from the main building sauna room. There is a switch below the sauna bench, on the right hand side of the water heater next to the water meter. Use this switch to switch off the water from the whole building. (Picture below “vesisulut”)
In the separate sleeping hut toilet there is a small water heater. The heater electricity plug can be connected all year around to get hot water. Please note that the water pressure is smaller in this tap because of the electrical heater.
Fire safety and smoking
- Smoking inside the cottage is strictly prohibited. Please place fag-ends in ashtrays and finally into the trash-bin.
- There is a smoke detector in the cottage. If the smoke detector battery runs out, the detector will keep beeb-sound at short intervals. In this case please replace the battery. Spare batteries can be found in the kitchen cupboards. If you can not find a new battery, please leave the smoke detector on the table.
- The cottage one fire extinguisher. There is also a fire extinguishing blanket in the kitchen cupboard. Please check the location of fire-fighting equipment immediately upon arrival at the cottage.
- The living room fireplace damper is in the dressing room next to the sauna. In sauna there is a separate damper for the sauna stove. Please pull the dampers open before setting fire to the fireplaces.
- In order to improve the burning process and to allow enough air in, please remember to empty the ashes from the stove, from the fireplace and from the ash-compartments. Use small trees and sticks to ignite the fire. Do not use liquids or oils to set the fire. When the fire is set, you can also add bigger firewood. During the burning, the combustion air can be reduced by pushing the ash compartment closer. Before adding more wood, it is advisable to improve the embers, ie to disperse larger coals and stack them evenly over the grate before laying the next layer of firewood.
- Do not close the fireplace flue damper too soon after using the fireplaces in order to avoid carbon monoxide hazard. When the embers begin to wane and blue flames can no longer be seen, you can close the damper a little. Only after the embers have completely burned out, the damper can be closed completely.
- After using the fireplaces in sauna and in the living room please empty the ashes into the black aluminium bucket which is by the sauna door. If this bucket is full and the ashes are definitely cooled down, please empty it onto the field. Please also carry firewood to sauna and to the front of the fireplace after use. Firewood can be found in the firewood storage behind the sleeping hut.
Instructions for the fireplace
In the Kivikoski main building there is an “accumulating” fireplace. This means that the fireplace circulates the heat and the gases inside the smoke chambers and there are strict rules in using the fireplace. You can never use this fireplace leaving the fireplace doors open, otherwise all the smoke will come into the cottage. Please read the below instructions carefully and if you have any questions, please contact the service: Pentti Kotiaho 041-5345100
1) Before heating the fireplace, check that there is not too much ash in the furnace, so that air can flow through the grate. If the ash blocks the grate, air intake might not be sufficient and the combustion is disturbed. The ashes should be removed only when they are completely cold. Please use metal containers when emptying the ash
2) Open the flue damper. The damper is located in the dressing room next to the sauna
3) Depending on the length of the firewood, and the size of the furnace, the firewood is loaded either horizontally or vertically. Trees may be stacked up to 2/3 of the volume of the furnace, and the final third should be left for air space
4) Set the wood to fire at the top of stacking in order to achieve faster and more efficient combustion. Use wood splinters or bark for example. Do not use flammable liquids!
5) Before setting the wood to fire, open the fireplace door and the ash door vents. When the wood is burning well, adjust the ash door air openings so that the combustion does not proceed on full force. Too large amount of air will reduce the efficiency. If the flame is very light, there might be too much air. When the flame has red hue, the amount of air is ok. When part of the firewood is broken to coals, close the ash door vents completely.
6) If you want more heat than the first load of burned firewood offered, a second load of firewood can be added during the same day when the first load has hot coals. Before adding firewood, close the air intakes and then open the fireplace door a little pass, and wait a moment, so that the burning stabilizes. After this, the fireplace door can be opened slowly. If the fire door is opened quickly, the smoke will come into the room.
Do not interfere with combustion. Avoid unnecessary upgrading of fire and avoid opening the fireplace doors, as this causes the air flow through the furnace, and the combustion efficiency will lower.
7) When the firewood has burned to red hot coals, the flue damper can be reduced, so that it will remain open for about 3-4 cm. When the embers are completely darkened, the dampers can be closed safely without the risk of carbon monoxide.
The fireplace is only for burning firewood. Max. two loads of firewood can be burned during one day!
Do not burn chipboard, plywood or glue or paint containing materials in the fireplace.
Do not burn any wastes such as cartons of milk, plastics and magazines in the fireplace.
Do not burn plastic goods in the fireplace
Gas grill and barbecue hut
On the cottage terrace there is a gas grill. Before using the grill, make sure that the gas hose is attached to the gas cylinder. If the gas bottle is not detached, place the pressure regulator (“painesäädin” pictured below) on top of the gas bottle and lift black plastic collar with your fingers while pressing it on top of the bottle, then press the collar down with your fingers. Make sure that the bottle is properly closed by lifting the bottle from the pressure regulator (when well attached, the bottle rises with it and does not come loose). Once the pressure regulator is attached, open the gas inlet valve from the pressure regulator. There are also videos and photo instructions online if you don’t succeed right away.
Once the gas bottle is attached, open the grill lid and turn the first switch of the grill to full power (left) and wait a couple of seconds for the gas to accumulate into the ignition chamber. Then press the ignition button by pressing the switch lightly down and turning it to the left. If the lighter does not work, lift up one of the grill grids and throw a burning match on the right front edge of the grill.
There is a spare gas bottle in the shed. Please let us know if you use a spare gas bottle so that we can bring a new bottle to the cottage at the next inspection.
There is a semi-open barbecue hut in the yard and a campfire site in front of the hut. Remember to empty the ashes from the campfires into the ash bucket after use.
For Kivikoski cottage and for Struka villa there is a common waste container. The waste container is located by the Strukantie, only 15 meters from the house to the left. Please pack your waste tightly, the waste container will be emptied once a week. Also please close the container lid carefully to avoid animals from getting into the container.
If possible, recycle your paper, glass, metal and cardboard packages to save the nature. The closest recycling station for paper, cardboard, glass and metal packages is found at the Pyhtää ABC parking lot behind the ABC building. There is another recycling station in the Prisma parking lot in Kotka. The address is Hakamäentie 1. The recycling station is only 19 kilometers from the cottage, only about 15 minutes by the car.
Audio and video
- At Kivikoski cottages we have a stereo TV with HDMI and Scart connection.
- At the cottage we also have a DVD player and a radio.
Detergents, paper and accessories
- Dishwasher detergent and hand dish-washing detergent can be found in the kitchen
- Liquid soap for washing hands can be found in the toilet
- Laundry detergent, shower soap and shampoo might be available. Other customers often leave detergents, but unfortunately we can not guarantee the availability.
- In the kitchen closet we have spare light bulbs, clothes pegs and a mousetrap.
- Toilet paper and kitchen towels can be found in the kitchen top closet shelf. If you come with a larger group for a longer period of time, please take some extra papers with you in case there is not enough paper in the cottage.
Electrical mouse repellent
- At Kivikoski cottage we have ultrasound mouse repellent devices attached in the power sockets from autumn to spring . Man does not hear them, but dogs or cats may be disturbed by them. If you remove the device from use during your stay, please connect devices before you leave.
- In the kitchen closet we also have some mouse traps available
A baby cot
The cottage has a children’s travel cot on the loft above the sauna. To put the travel cot to sleeping position, press the long sides down first, then the short ends and then the bottom. When stacking the bed in the storage position, the order is reversed.
To be done before check out
- Follow the cleaning instructions and clean the cottage. If you ordered one of our cleaning services from us (basic cleaning or full cleaning), make sure that you have organized the cottage according to the instructions. More info about cleaning at the attached cleaning services link.
- Take the garbage to the garbage bin by the Strukantie.
- Wash the gas grill and clean the barbecue areas. Empty the ashes from campfire sites to the ash bucket
- Tidy the yard
- Check the boat mooring (summertime).
- Turn off the lights, close the windows, lock the doors and leave the keys in their original locations.
- Switch the temperature switch in the living-room to “heating off” position.
We want to keep the cottage clean and in impeccable condition. If you notice any defects or you have suggestions for improvement, please contact us. You can call or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kivikoski cottage, Savantum Oy. Strukantie 30, 49270 Pyhtää. Minna Kotiaho +358400534269, Pentti Kotiaho +358415345100